Share the Joy Thursday: Let’s Just Talk About Whatever Comes Up…

1292120551WqnjIhBBy John Eastcott and Yva Momatiuk - www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/PhotoZone/Archives/2009/2009-Photo-Contest-Winners.aspx

I was looking for something to share today that made me feel especially joyful. I came upon this image. Enough said, I think. Big, Big Smile……I found this poem to go with it. I hope it makes you smile too.

xoxoxox

Happy Thursday!

 

Giraffe

A giraffe came by the willow tree
Stopped to gaze and talk to me.
For he was very lean and tall
A pillar, a column, a walking wall.
And as he looked down upon my face
His eyes were wide two pools in space,
As they engulfed, the countryside,
The sky above, held me inside -
Their special height and slant of things
Their special view of every thing,
And I could see by looking up
The wealth within his loving cup
That thinks and drinks the sun and sky
And watches us from way up high.
And yet I found it sad to see
That he could never reach down to me
For he was too tall, too much ideal
And I was too small, too much the real.
So, this angular figure, graceful and wise
Of astounding vision and cool clear eyes
Watched the sun rise, then watched it set
Looked down on me and seemed to forget
That I was as much a part of this scene
As the sun in the sky, the oak in the green.
Then the willow tree watching standing near by
Saw the distance between us and started to cry
she bowed down her head touching the ground
And from that day to this,
it's the way she'll be found.

Author Unknown

http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/18247/109.html

For More Share the Joy Posts, Go visit Meri’s Musings.

Giraffe Breeding and Birthing Habits":A female giraffe doesn't generally breed before her fifth year. She carries her single baby for 15 months before giving birth while standing, with the young giraffe falling as much as six feet to the ground.
The newborn calf is about 6 feet tall and weighs 80-150 pounds. Within about 20 minutes of birth the young giraffe is able to stand up and it starts nursing within an hour.
A baby giraffe is weaned at 12-15 months of age and becomes fully independent approximately 3-4 months later.

Comments

  1. I have never seen a giraffe here as we don't have them and so the information was interesting :) I loved the poem very much , it so wonderfully describes the giraffe baby and its mother!! Such an endearing photo and yes it made me smile, probably the best picture of a giraffe i have seen!!

    Thank you Noelle you have made my day today!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts